I disliked the 270 WSM out of the starting gate, but a while back I came across a dozen or so New Haven 270 WSM rifles cheap on a closeout sale when they closed the factory with the intent of rebarreling them to 7 WSM, a personal favorite of mine.

Anyway, when they came in a customer needed a quick rifle for an Elk hunt after his 300 RUM barrel suddenly went south, so I gave him one of these to use.

I should mention here that he is a very seasoned LR shooter/hunter and after taking an Elk at over 900 yards with excellent terminal effect, he claimed the 270 WSM was equal to his 300 Win or Rum in terminal effect at that range...he became a believer..

The 270 WSM was a foot shorter and pounds lighter than his other LR rig, less recoil and less blast than the braked rifles...Lighter is an advantage in the mountains, as was the excellent 165 Matrix bullet.

I still prefer the 7WSM, but with the right bullet the 270 WSM is a helluva effective round in the right hands...that...and it's hard to argue with something that works.

I'd actually prefer the 22" barrel, probably less than 50 fps difference in that very efficient chamber.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."