comerade;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day out east in your part of the world was as nice and sunny as it was here and this finds you well.

Back in the day, I worked with two different B78 rifles, one for a longer time in .25-06 and briefly with a .30-06.

As others have mentioned, one absolutely wants to make sure that the trigger has not been messed with or they're quite vexing to get back in working order. The .30-06 was brought to my shop not working and I must say it wasn't a quick job for me having never done one previously to get it functioning properly again.

The .25-06 was the 26" octagon barrel and I've never seen them in any other configuration, though some of them were a round barrel for sure.

It shot best with the fore end not touching the front of the receiver or the barrel, so what we ended up doing was that I made another slightly beefier fore end up that was bedded onto the tang which runs forward of the receiver.

We also installed a trigger shoe on it to mitigate the pull feel somewhat and the owner and I felt it was an improvement.

His had the factory two piece Redfield type mounts and while they get some poor reviews, we had no issues with them as far as I can recall.

It shot everything from 75gr HP to 117gr Spires extremely well.

Hopefully that was somewhat useful information for you or someone out there tonight.

All the best to you all whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"