Coming home from the service in 1977 (after all my guns had been stolen), I bought a B78 .25-06 octagon barrel as the very first rifle toward a new collection. Caliber choice was toward "Mice to Moose", and the gun has served well in that range ever since. I considered a Ruger #1 (Dad hunted with one), but I liked the smaller action and trimmer lines of the Browning.

Deadly accurate, and with the 26" barrel (there was a Wyoming edition with a 28!), handload velocities nip at the heels of factory .257 Weatherby.

My only regret is not investing in a Canjar trigger when they were available. The trigger is "learnable", but not crisp. I put mine in a very reputable shop for that and got little improvement.

Such was not enough of a "turn-off" to keep me away from buying a fat-barreled .22-250, then a .45-70 (new in the box and I sold it to a friend still new in the box 15 years later with the agreement that I got to shoot it first). Quality of wood in each gun is phenomenal. Original scope I bought for the .25 was a Leupold 3x-9x. More recently a 6.5-20x was installed and the gun can use it.

There are a number of methods for these guns (and the Ruger #1) to increase accuracy by hanging the forearm in a different fashion. I have reprints of an article that outlines these methods, and picked a simpler method out of those offered with noticeable improvement in the .25-06 and the .22-250.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor