Originally Posted by BC30cal
comerade;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

Indeed tattoos seem to be the place to spend money for many of the younger set.

While I can appreciate the art involved, when my kids asked me if I'd ever considered one and I replied, "No because if you ever have to disappear it's one more thing to worry about" is something they still bring up! As you can well imagine, having me as a father was "interesting" for our girls on many days I'm certain! wink

If you end up with a B78, I have a box full of parts for one, including an action actually, but the falling block part is damaged as I recall. Long story from another time and place with more parts that I inherited. Anyways should you need parts, give me a shout as I might have it?

My buddy and hunting partner who owned the .25-06 still talks about regretting selling it back then and it was really not a bad arm at all.

The only thing I didn't like about it as opposed to a No. 1 is that the falling block is narrower, so when one is reloading it, one can "thumb" the round in with a No. 1, but with the B78 one has to push the round home with a thinner digit, say your index finger as the thumb sorta doesn't fit well.

We both liked the fact it could be safely carried loaded with the hammer down, which made it a better horse hunting rifle in many ways than the No. 1 that I used for years.

Again I hope that made some sense and was useful sir.

Dwayne

All;
Good afternoon to all the folks interested in B78's out there, I hope that you're getting the weather you need this summer and that you and all who matter in your world are well.

Since this thread got resurrected I thought I'd add a couple of photos and the story behind "the box full of parts" that I mentioned to comerade.

Way back in the day a shooting mentor of mine - now gone as well - ended up with all the firearms when a neighbor of his who was somewhat of a gunsmith/gunmaker passed on. Part of what he got was a box full of B78 parts which included a cracked butt stock, the 26" octagon factory barrel in .22-250 with slightly buggered threads and most of the rest of the action and contents.

Here's one view of the action.

[Linked Image]

And another.

[Linked Image]

Missing from the box of parts was the hammer which apparently was never found, but otherwise I believe most of it's there, though the lever/trigger guard is broken and someone tried to weld it up unsuccessfully.

I should have taken a better photo of the front of the action because the threads aren't minty fresh on it. For the life of me I can't recall if the barrel was only loose or if it was blown off the front.

The fore end wood was too many pieces to salvage apparently.

Of course I suspect inquiring minds would be curious as to how this all took place and when buddy had asked the gunsmith about it, he said that his "best guess" was that he'd loaded a .250 round into it instead of a .22-250.

That's all I know, but other than being a mystery it's been a topic of conversation in my shop from time to time. Especially when someone comes in and proclaims that "you can't blow up a drop block single shot". wink

Honestly I wish I had photos of the blown up Husky that a buddy showed me, but he wasn't even keen on showing me, much less having photos taken. It held up better in some ways than the B78, but all we could salvage was the rear action screw and the safety as I recall. It was pretty much toast as well.

Thanks for looking and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"