Originally Posted by Mule Deer
1Akshooter,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I have owned both the LabRadar and Magnetspeed, and eventually sold the LabRadar. This may seem startling to LabRadar fans, but there's why:

When I head to the range it's for work, not play. Generally I'm taking at least a couple rifles, and have taken up to six, and often a handgun or two. I loved the LabRadar during its first 7-8 range sessions, but eventually came up against its limitations. It's listed as not reading bullets below .22 caliber consistently, because it reads by bouncing waves off the base of the bullet. I originally thought that might be OK, because while I do sometimes chronograph .17 and .20 caliber bullets, it's not all that often.

But eventually I also discovered it wouldn't read a particular high-BC 6mm bullet, apparently because the rear end of the extended boattail is too small. This was during a range trip during the last stages of putting together an article, and I needed that data. Luckily I also had a simple but reliable light-screen chronograph in the pickup, so switched to it.

The settings on the LR also need to be changed for shooting handguns. I'm often shooting both handguns and rifles during the same range session, which makes the LR more of a hassle. Plus, it won't read velocities above 3900 fps, and while I don't chronograph a lot of super-zappy loads, when I do it's again often during article research, so I need (not just want) the data.

The Magnetospeed reads everything, but the problem I initially had with it (again) was time. Mounting it on the barrel often changes point of impact and accuracy, so I had to spend more time and money reshooting the same load with the Magnetospeed bayonet off the barrel. I also had to be constantly switching it from one barrel to another. Eventually I solved both problems by modifying a Caldwell Rock front rifle rest to hold the bayonet, which works very well.

However, all of that applies to me as a gun writer. Many shooters don't test such a wide variety of firearms and cartridges--or as many at one time. For them the LabRadar can be a definite convenience, and using a Magnetospeed on the barrel is no big deal.

If the LabRadar folks ever overcome its limitations on bullet size and velocity, I would probably buy another. But for now am pretty happy with the Rock-mounted Magnetospeed.

Thank you for the clear expression of your experience, John. I hadn't understood the limitations of the Labradar, and had been planning on getting one. I'll hold off, and look elsewhere, since it looks like it won't fit a significant number of my needs.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.