Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
For you LR guys, what do you think is the optimum distance between the barrel and the side of the LR?

Roughly 6" - 8" is good for me. I never saw any obvious benefit from being closer. Farther away eventually starts to introduce triggering problems and bullet path alignment errors, although you probably won't notice any negative affects until you're at least 12" away, and, then, the affects are small. Optimum distance probably depends on cartridge, muzzle attachment, and your local range conditions - how busy with other shooters, the nature of the covering over the bench, etc.

And, an inch or two in front of the muzzle works best for me, too. That is with no brake or suppressor, just a regular bare muzzle. But realize that the algorithm the LR uses assumes it is sitting even with the muzzle, so don't get too carried away on the front/back placement of the unit.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The LR has a parameter in the menu allowing you to adjust the lateral distance between the barrel and the LR, and the instructions explain specifically how to place the muzzle in relation to the fore/aft position of the LR, depending on what you’re shooting. I’ve found that it works very well to follow their instructions regarding fore/aft, and to stay roughly the lateral distance that the menu option is set for. For non-braked rifles, placing the muzzle even with the LR, and for braked rifles a couple inches behind the LR seems to work well. Putting a braked muzzle even with, or a few inches ahead of, the LR tends to result in a lot of blast hitting the LR and knocking it out of alignment. If placing a braked muzzle ahead of the
LR, I’ve had better luck placing it well ahead (like 12”).

Picking up .224” 75 AM bullets is easy to do when following the above, combined with carefully aiming the device at the target.