Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Some monos for sure pencil through. Especially those smaller calibers. In general I have noticed animals run longer after being shot with a mono if no bone or the CNS is not hit. Blood trails are often scant as well because the entrance and exit holes are small.
If was not concerned with lead entering my meat supply I would go back to.lead and copper bullets in a heart beat.

Mule Deer has written about this several times on here and I believe in magazine article/s. Hunters have less lead in their bodies than city dwellers who don't hunt. Until the Barnes X bullet came out lead was in all bullets that I know of and we didn't have an epidemic of lead poisoning in hunters or those who ate the meat of animals shot with lead bullets.

The comments I have seen John make on the subject used blood tests to determine lead exposure. Blood tests are about useless for determining how much lead is in your body chronically. This is because lead hides out in your bones and brain for decades. Acute lead poisoning only occurs if your exposed to a very large amount of lead in a short period. However, even small amounts of lead affect the human body. Your train of thought is always brought up when talking about lead hunting bullets. However, it's based on false assumptions.

There is some irrational thinking going on here. You are worried about a problem that isn't testable and isn't quantifiable, yet must exist (in your mind). I ate a bunch of lead as a youngster, particularly as a teen, through eating various birds that we didn't get all the shot out of. I've yet to see evidence that the body can absorb much lead when ingested in its elemental state. My IQ was tested by a psychologist when I was 29. I scored 149. I don't think elemental lead is the grand threat that is repeatedly claimed.

You are free to think what you like. Even if that thinking is irrational.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.