Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Mule Deer has written about this several times on here and I believe in magazine article/s. Hunters have less lead in their bodies than city dwellers who don't hunt. Until the Barnes X bullet came out lead was in all bullets that I know of and we didn't have an epidemic of lead poisoning in hunters or those who ate the meat of animals shot with lead bullets.

The risk of lead in hunters is apparently quite small, it's the lead in the environment and carrion that has become the concern. USFWS now has a database on migratory birds and raptors that have been diagnosed with lead poisoning. It's more common then I was aware of. I've written this before, but I think it's only a matter of time before we see some of the western states prohibit lead bullets for hunting, if the feds don't do it first. I won't like it, but I think it's a distinct possibility.

Montana is looking into lead and raptors. Had a big story on it in Montana Outdoors. A friend went to a seminar where it was brought up. Hem said most of the varmint hunters there would quit if required to only shoot expensive monometal bullets.