Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a Hunter,

The choices for varmint hunters are far wider and less expensive than "monometals." Barnes, Hornady and Nosler, for instance, make very accurate, lead-free bullets for varmints that are NOT monometals, but have cores made of powdered, non-toxic metals such as copper. As an example, here's an example from Graf's, a website that sells handloading components, which I order from often:

Nosler Lead-Free 50-grain .224, 100 per box: $28.69
Nosler Ballistic Tip 50-grain .224, 100 per box: $24.49

That relatively small difference in price is pretty typical for lead-free varmint bullets. I have used all three brands for shooting "burrowing rodents," and they're very accurate and highly effective. The major "problem" (if you can call it that) is like all lead-free bullets they're longer for their weight than lead-cores, so need to be lighter (hence shorter) to stabilize in typical rifling twists. However, this is counteracted somewhat by higher muzzle velocity.

As an example I have shot a LOT of prairie dogs with the 24-grain Hornady NTX handloaded to 4400 fps with 31.0 grain of Ramshot TAC from the .204 Ruger, and within the range where every prairie dog shooter I've ever shot with can hit more PD's than they miss (around 300-350 yards) they're at least as effective as lead-core 32- or 40-grain V-Maxes. (Oh, and I have shot PD's with a world-record-setting benchrest competitor, one of the top sniper instructors in the U.S. Army, and various other fine shots. Believe me, the only PD shooters who would be disappointed in the performance of such lead-free varmint bullets are those who feel only shots beyond 500 yards count.

I did an article about 2-3 years ago for RIFLE magazine on lead-free bullets for all kinds of rifle hunting, including rimfire ammo. This year I updated it for a chapter in my new book GUN GACK III.

Good to know there are more options than the Nosler.