I am 6'4" and over 300 pounds. I have shot everything in the Army inventory once upon a time and I have a collection of big bores most won't fire twice. Recoil is not an issue for me even though I am big that does not matter as much as proper form and bracing yourself for the shot. If you have a scope you have to be aware of the clearance and not creep the scope that is what gets most people. The three guns I have shot that I really noticed the kick was in the Army only the M203 grenade launcher and that was only because I was not expecting it to kick that hard. 40mm grenade basically a 40mm shotgun duh. The hardest kicking rifle I've ever shot was a 505 Gibbs non ported with a 600 grain load. I fired 3 rounds off the bench, no lead sled, and my whole body was shaking even in a good position. The last is a T/C Encore pistol in .308, I could handle it fine but it is a hard kicking handgun that many people cut their brow on that scope. A 500 S&W even ported is quite stout but manageable. Every thing else including all the Weatherby's have been easy to control. I have a friend who is my size and hunts with a .338 Lapua ported but will not shoot any of my guns because he says they hurt him. Big bores are made to be shot standing anyway and that is the best way to minimize recoil but your footing needs to be right.