I'm surprised that this is still going! But since I started it, I guess I could add a few comments: I was not asking for myself as I've lots of shooting experience with Big Bores. And there has been some excellent input from everyone.

The reason I posed the question as I did was because several, on other threads, were complaining rather vociferously over the recoil of "magnums" when they weren't really any "better" for large game than standard cartridges in the same caliber. I wanted input from others, who shoot "big magnums" to see whether "magnumitus" is a serious problem among those who prefer heavier calibers for heavy game... because I write on these matters, and others of a practical nature.

Thanks to all for your input.

I'm not a large man... about average I think. Today, I weigh 180 lbs out of the shower. At one time I did weigh about 210 - 215. I'm probably healthier today (at age 75) than when I was 60. I do handle my .458 Win mag quite well, and I don't find it abusive with it's heaviest loads. But I have settled on a practical hunting load for moose and bear, using 350gr TSX's at 2750 fps, generating 50 ft-lbs of recoil. And the recoil momentum isn't bad from the 11.25 lb rifle all-up ready to go.

One thing I have learned though, when practicing I use good ear muffs and ear plugs. When the muzzle blast is just a simple "pop", the recoil is definitely less! wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus