I'm no "macho man" either, about 10 years younger than you Bob, a few inches taller and about 20 lb heavier.

When I first got my Ruger #1 375 H&H and had to shoot it off a bench per range rules, it hurt because I was dodging that scope coming back so quick. I never took it back to that range, but only to one where I could shoot standing up and everything was fine.

I went on to get an identical rifle in 458 Win Mag, and found I could shoot it from a bench more comfortably than the 375, in my opinion due to a slower recoil velocity, not lesser recoil. I did have it rattle my cage once when shooting semi prone( laying over a round hay bale for support)

Later I picked up a pretty CZ Safari American, again in 375H&H, for two reasons beautiful wood and the thing fit me perfectly. In all honestly it's softer shooting, from a bench than the old Winchester 70 featherweight 30-06 I started out with back in 63. I have offered to let others shoot it at the range and they usually decline saying it would hurt too much, when I can see their little 7mm &30 cal wonder mags are whipping them much worse than my big 375.

I guess what I'm saying is that mental attitude is the biggest part, position and technique help.