Originally Posted by CZ550
Or, is that a myth?

I hear complaints about this frequently on several forums.

What is your take on it?

I'm no "Macho Man" by any stretch... Out of the shower, I'm 177 to 180 lbs and 5'-9" (no socks or shoes). I've short legs with a longish, somewhat stockily-built body. But I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks and have lost 30 lbs in the last 15 years... which is nice since I have diabetes.

BUT, I also shoot some heavy "artillery"... in fact, mostly that.

What's your experience?

Let me preface this by saying I've written some "wordy" pieces on the psychology and physical aspects of managing recoil from the "heavies". Like to hear from the rest of you.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob,
I believe that strength has little to do with it. Recoil management is a state of mind where you apply self discipline. I have shot 5 shot groups around the half inch mark with my .460 Weatherby and have shot gongs on a public range in Wyoming at the 300 yard mark with consistency as well as shot in front on groups of people over a lot of years.

Irrespective of the cartridge and load chosen, you have to apply a mindset of concentration in what you are there for, so that recoil is moved further down the line of concern. I personally do not like muzzle blast way before actual recoil.

John Woods

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.