Jwall.

I agree. I typically wanna be able to go close to mid range myself. Which the 243 and 260 do very well for me. When I’m hunting strictly thick woods I typically grab a rifle with lower power scope that is handy in the stand over anything else. Which is typically a model 7 243. If had a 30-30( which is a problem I need to rectify) id grab it in tight woods.

Most hunters aren’t hunting from point blank to 400 yards. Most have no business shooting much past 150 yards anyways. Most don’t even think of guns the way most of us do on campfire.

Good example is a guy I grew up with. Andy has killed a lot of nice bucks in west Tennessee and middle Tennessee over the years. He will shoot 5-7 does a year and typically 1-2 bucks. He has been using the same 35 Remington since he was about 12( 35 now) I attempted to talk to him about better cartridges and he laughed. Said his rifle has never let him down. It’s the only deer rifle he owns

Most are happy with whatever they have or were given Will buy whatever factory ammo shoots pie plate at 100. Cheap scopes that they never even leveled more than with naked eye

I just feel way to much thought is put into the “best deer cartridge” when there are so many great cartridges around. Non is best