Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by kevinJ

I typically use one of my 243’s or my 260. Also use the 30-06 occasionally. 300blk kills them just fine for my kids.

I think too much consideration is given to cartridges honestly. Deer aren’t hard to kill

I agree with you and disagree with qualifications.
Yes, deer aren't hard to kill. As you said 22 Mag--- UP, as long as shot placement is correct.

I've dispatched car wounded deer with a 22 LR and hunted and killed with an 8mm RM (totally unnecessary but I own one).

Where the qualifications come in IS the WHERE someone hunts. I've hunted Nat'l Forest, thickets, pastures, cutovers,
and power / pipelines.

I like a cartridge that you can HIT a deer from the muzzle out to 400 yds. NOT all those you listed are good at distance.
Where I hunt now, I can be in a thicket or on an open pasture or fence row and 400 yds isn't out of the question.

MY, MY requisite is a cartridge with adequate capability & trajectory out to 400 yds. My choices are less than in your list.
ATST, as you said, we must *shoot* within the cartridge's limit.

Jerry

You could hit a deer at 400 yds with a 22 LR! Few people can shoot within the limits of the cartridge they shoot. We must shoot within our own limit!