The 1 ton does not have a higher towing capacity than the 3/4. It only has stiffer rear springs and higher payload capacity, but not much. The 1 ton can make sense if you're going to install a service bed or flatbed with toolboxes, air compressor, welder etc., and you know the springs on the 250 will sag too much. The 350 is a stiffer ride when it's unloaded. For most people buying SRW, the 3/4 ton makes more sense. For people buying a heavy work/service truck or tow rig for a 5th wheel or gooseneck, they will be better off with a dually. In Ford, the 450 and 550 offer more significant upgrade from the 250 than the 350 does -- but not saying they're better if you don't need them.

For me personally, I got out of the big pickup thing. 20 years ago all the young dudes I knew were buying big -- not for work, but for recreation, toy hauling, and basically for the image because they didn't want to drive a Prius. Some of them are still buying newer versions of the same thing and paying $80 or $90 thousand dollars for them. Yeah they tow a couple times a year but mostly they just commute in those things. My advice is if you need to tow but only occasionally, then buy a used rig, like 15 years or older. Then you can buy a half-ton, compact pickup, or an SUV or car or whatever for everyday when you don't need 20,000 pounds towing capacity.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 11/02/20.