Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Dunno about the newer ones but whenever I looked over a 3/4 ton ford, it has this odd-ball front dana 50 half assed axle.

The one ton had the high pinion dana 60.

Independent front suspension on a heavy duty truck makes zero sense to me, so chevy was out.

Nowadays, ford runs a dana super 60 front axle. That's some overbuilt stuff right there.

Even one ton leaf packs, I added an extra leaf to the front end. Flat bed, full length crew cab utility-rack and 6 steel cargo boxes, the rear spring pack was upgraded to f-550 springs. The f-350 springs were not enough.

Coil springs on a dodge rear axle? That's some urban-cowboy bullsht right there!

The Dana Super 60 is an overbuilt front axle for a Jeep. It's pretty wimpy for a full-size pickup, even for the front axle. It's fine for low profile highway size tires, but weak for larger tires on a 4x4 that weighs 8000+ pounds.

Coil springs are so much better than leaf and it has nothing to do with urban cowboys. Leaf springs support the vertical load, but they also have to be stiff enough to locate the axle and limit axle wrap. With coil springs, the axle can be located by rigid links/control-arms, so the coils can be rated for the load instead of for locating the axle which almost always results in a mismatch. Coils are especially superior off-road. Leaf springs have nothing going for them in any respect except cheapness for the manufacturer. FWIW, I have both, so this is not personal bias. My HD pickup has leaf, but my other truck and 4x4 are coil. I don't own any Dodge either, so I'm not defending that.