Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I don’t tow enough 75% of the time to need a 3/4-1 ton, but those times I do, I may have 7k # of tractor and bucket, then add bush hog, other implements,....whatever, and sometimes it’s not far, but other times I may be going 6-10 hours.

Rent. It's so much cheaper and you can get exactly what you need for those occasional jobs. Owning the excess capacity is a waste of money, but tons of people do it for their ego and they pay.

I bought my2019 Duramax, specifically for hunting and hauling heavy loads around my place. Rental companies take a dim view of using their vehicles off road. Some say specifically that you can't do it. My old 98 Ram 2500 maxed out right at my load of truck, slide in camper, trailer, mules, tack and gear. With the Chevy at 23K capacity I have some to spare and it doesn't skip a beat pulling over 11-10K mountain passes. Same with me, hauling those heavy loads is probably 70-75% of use. Keeping a few mules all year, spending a few thousand on hunting is probably a waste of money too, but I enjoy my retirement .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles