Would never suggest a car, but you mentioned hunting/off-road. A one-ton won't do that, at least not where I go. That's why people tow side-by-sides, ATV's, and 4x4 project crawlers.

As much as you'd do nasty, better to do it to a rental than one you own. Use a decent credit card, and it's all insured. Nevertheless, the times you'd need to go beyond your current truck's towing capacity aren't likely the one's that also call for extreme offroad. I don't intend to keep trying to convince you, but to clarify that my point is that you can borrow the capability that you rarely use on a temporary basis and that allows you to buy/own/keep capabilities that are incompatible. There's no one vehicle that can do it all, so it makes sense to own what you use the most or what you cannot rent. Big towing capacity is one of the easiest rentals. Driving an hour to pick up a rental is not a big deal if you only need it one or two weeks out of the year. I do that with RV's. I am so glad I don't permanently own one of those money pits. Speaking of money pits, I do it with boats too. With the boats, a day's rental costs almost half a monthly payment on the same boat, but who can boat several days a month all year long? I have too many other avocations. I only rent a boat one day a year or two years. The rest of the time the payments, depreciation, insurance, registration and storage costs are all someone else's. I also don't have to register the trailer, tow it, or pay launch fees. No doubt for someone who boats every weekend it's worth it to own one. I own a canoe. I can put it in the quieter lakes that I prefer, and it's paid for. It has capabilities the big boats don't have and I use it far more often than the powerboats or sailing boats so I own it and rent those.