"if think you might need chains, you should already have them on. Of course I learned that lesson the hard way"

I'll add that to my other mantra: "If I am 90% sure I know where I am, I have a 50% chance of being right". "

That road HAS been plowed. The snow on top doesn't look too bad either, tho I don't know how wet it is or what's under it. If there is ice under it, it's hairy. If it is wet snow on top of ice, it's real hairy.

A few years ago we had a very bad freezing rain, overnight on a work day. 1/3 mile up the road from my place there is a banked 90 degree curve near the top of the hill ( I usually coast to my driveway, from the crest, almost a half mile), and as I came around it, the road was blocked by 2 or 3 other vehicles which just couldn't make it any farther - spun out on 3" of glassy ice. I had studs on, they did not. Then my neighbor came around the banked corner behind me, stopped and parked half way around, got out, and walked forward to where I was sanding the other vehicles from the two 5 gal buckets I'd put in the truck minutes before.

We all turned around and watched as her truck slooooooowly slid sideways into the ditch. smile

It took awhile, but we all went home until the sand truck got out there the next day. Screw work!

Last edited by las; 12/02/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.