Or the time I was going home and started down a deep dip, with about 200 yards of slope, just off the main highway. Probably around 7% grade, certainly over 5. Glare ice again, sanding truck had yet to hit it. Even with studs I was barely maintaining control as I committed. Downhill, no problem, right? Just stay off the brakes and gas, coast, do not turn the wheel, and heavier front end ought to keep it straight. ('90 Chev 2500 Diesel crew 4x4))

I'd just commited beyond recall when a year and half old bull moose came walking out from the side driveway halfway down the hill, very gingerly and slowly crossing the road, trying to keep his feet.

Not one damned thing I could do, but he made it out of my way before I got there, by less than 6 inches. I thought I was going to hit him, but he took that last leetle mincy step just as I got there. smile

And yes, I did once slide backwards down that thing after making it only halfway up, fortunately staying on the road. ('80 F150 2wd, studs, not enough run!)

Now, in those conditions, if I think it's chancy, I take an alternate route, which adds 5 miles o.w. to town. I still has a different dip to go through, but it is more gradual and the sanding truck hits that road first.

Winter conditions are always fun!

I'm running Michelin M&S of the Ram 3500 crew 4x4, with chains winter-carried in the back floor boards. It's been 3 years since I bought those tires and chains, getting rid of the worn out studs and summer tire sets. Have yet to need the chains, either vehicle, as I don't do much winter driving with the Ram except to town on occasion - and that I can usually put off until conditions improve. Chains are way cheaper than 4 studded tires, which studs only last about 3 years anyway,if much driving is done on them..

For most winter driving, we use my wife's ExpeditionEL. We do have rimmed studs for that, as well as rimmed summer tires.. My chains will fit her tires- they go in the back if we are going any distance in marginal conditions. We have it where the sets cycle out different years.

I've not put the Ram in the ditch in the 15 years I've had it. The '90 Chev 3500 practically lived there....slowing down helps. smile

We carry 300# of sandbags in the back of both rigs, positioned as far back as possible, also.

Last edited by las; 12/02/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.