The 30 '06 is easily the most versatile cartridge commonly available. There are numerous cartridges that will accomplish some tasks slightly better than the 30 '06 but none that will match it for all around performance.

It can be loaded with heavy bullets for large or dangerous game.

It can be handloaded to make reduced loads for beginners and still be an effective hunting tool at moderate range.

It handles cast bullets well.

Lighter, modern bullet designs allow velocities and trajectories that nearly match the .270, 280AI, 7mm Rem, 300 win mag etc. to ranges beyond what most hunters can utilize.

Factory ammo is available anywhere you can purchase ammo in a wider selection than any other cartridge.

It can be housed in nearly every rifle design and is chambered by all manufacturers.

A wide variety of reloading components work suitably, thus giving flexibility when shortages occur.

I am sure there are other attributes I have neglected to mention. Use what makes you happy. I enjoy using some rare, uncommon and obsolete cartridges but would never suggest anything is BETTER than a 30 '06.

sorry... not a gun writer so I rarely respond in this area of the forum. All of the above has certainly been stated previously by others whose writing I have enjoyed over the years

Last edited by tcp; 01/01/21.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning