Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
It's cousins (270, 280, 308 etc) are never branded boring so why the 30/06?

because of whats ruining Trump. Media.

06 is just fine.

Although I only own a few in Garands and have only shot pigs with it. Its still just fine.

In fact I got excited this year to see a client bring a 308 on a moose hunt. I was far more impressed with his rounds impacts on moose than the latter, and latter had 338 win mag and had as good if not better hits than the 308 client.

Of course I once again came to the conclusion that Partitions are not reliable to me at all. While Barnes continue to be.

What happened with a Partition on this particular hunt? Care to share the details?

Ok. 308 Win. 168 Barnes TTSX. Shots around 125 yards or so. Low through heart and leg meat. Pass through. Moose don't realize they are dead. We decide to take another shot. Same distance basically. Enters rear of lungs, exits through shoulder meat and part of scapula. Pass through. Moose still not aware of death. Third shot enters shoulder meat, exits center of neck, pass through bang flop.

Move onward. 338 Win Mag. 250 partition. Pretty slow. Range just under 100 yards. First shot broadside centers both lungs, just at the crease of the leg. Caught a hair of shoulder meat, no bone other than rib. Moose is sick. But moves off a bit. Still standing so lets do it again. This hit is about 5 inches from first, basically same perfect placement. No exit on either shot. In fact neither of the 250s even made it to ding the inside of the ribs on the off side. Guessing they were both in the off side lungs somewhere. Normally I dig but lets just say it was a super long day and even longer night working on getting him back to camp which was complete by about 9am the next morning. I didn't dig.

JB told me once on an issue with NP on small whitetail and 300 mag that the 180 was NOT a mag bullet, but the 200 was. I'd be impressed with that bullet. But Barnes was around and figuring out how to shoot them and then along came the TSX and the TTSX and between them and a few bergers here and there I'm good. Not a nosler in the household anymore other than some old 6mm partitions been here for years.

Wow. I'm just as surprised that all three Barnes exited as I am that neither Partition did. Thanks for typing that up!

Some years ago during a rodeo with a big muley buck, my brother shot him in the ass as he was hobbling away at about 400 yards with a 200 gr Partition out of a 300 SAUM. When I was gutting that buck, I discovered that the Partition didn't make it out of the guts, so then we started measuring and digging. It penetrated 14-15" tops. Not what I would have expected.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.