Originally Posted by CAS
JJ,

You are spot on in your assessment of the origins of most hogs in the US. I've had several long talks with the F&G Biologist in this area, and he tells me that even domestic hogs will start to look like "Russian" boars after only three generations in the wild.

The way hogs breed, I'd be shocked if there were ANY pure wild strains left anywhere in the US.

That is my firm belief as well, after researching feral hogs, to no end. I had a Wisconsin state biologist tell me to my face, that they are all geneticaly the same. I've no reason to doubt that. Reminds me of Alaskan griz, brown, and Kodiak bears - all geneticaly the same.

Different states have taken on different methods to rid themselves of the hogs. Kansas and Nebraska (Missouri may follow)are two that come to mind where they do not allow hunting. USDA-Wildlife Services has taken charge of that management issue. Sounds crazy to me not to let hunters in on the killing. My only guess is that those states are trying to stop any sport hunting interest before it starts. Here in Wisconsin, the DNR, after holding public meetings, has adopted the position that feral pigs are exotic, non-native wild animals that pose significant threats to both the environment and to agricultural operations. I say that is a good move, as it now affords us hunters another game animal to pursue, year round.

Good, bad, or indifferent, the feral hogs are here to stay.

Here is what they look like in Wisconsin. I killed this boar back in May. And yes, here in Wis they are 100% freerange (Fenced operations for wild hogs are illegal)

He looks as wild appearing as they get.
[Linked Image]

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member