This is really sad news.

I was honored and privileged to have spent time with Bill at his home and on his range. He mentored me as well as many other 'Fire members on the fine points of shooting BPCR, Sharps rifles in particular.
He ground and fitted the copper penny front sight on my Shiloh 1874 and taught me how to properly use the barrel sights for shooting at ranges out past 1,000 yards.
The second time at his home range he coached me on shooting my, then new, .45-70 Sharps, and when the smoke cleared , I had put 115 full power 485gr cast bullet loads downrange. I didn't mind at all. He just sat there and grinned as I worked through all that ammo. grin

His knowledge of blades, firearms, and all things black powder was truly encyclopedic.

Yup, he held strong opinions and was sometimes abrupt with them, but you could always count on him speaking the truth.

I will truly miss him. This place has lost an artist, a mentor, and a friend.

Rest In Peace, Bill.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell