Originally Posted by ChrisF
Just like Tryone and others are saying...sounded good in theory...not so good in practice. ...or if some is good, than more is better right?
There were some “name” barrel makers that said they would not stand behind their barrels if the black star process was applied to them. I remember one was quoted as saying there was an ideal surface finish that was applied during the lapping process and messing with that got you the opposite of what you were after.

Sorry Tyrone...I just caught my typo...and now it's too late to edit (and folks have repeated it in quotes). It wasn't intended.
But I will use this opportunity to stick a fork in the Blackstar tangent. LW in that era was using an interesting Stainless Alloy that required different machining techniques (lower feed rate, carbide tooling, coolant flush etc.), but no problem for an experienced machinist I think it was 17-4 and I was interested in trying that...just not one done by BlackStar. IIRC near the end of their run, Blackstar was using K&P blanks.

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/25/21.