Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I am by no means a Nosler fan, but they are designed to lose a lot of the front, causing damage and allowing the shank to penetrate deeper. You guys should just "come to the light" and go T/TTSXs smile

Hi Jorge,

I hope you weren't meaning to include me among "You guys!" Killed my first animal with a Barnes X in 1989, and took quite a few others with them through the 1990s, as quality (and accuracy) steadily improved--though used Fail Safes somewhat more, because Winchester solved the accuracy/fouling problem earlier.

Started using the TSX in 2003, the year it appeared, when Eileen provided Coni Brooks with the first "field report" of a TSX used on a bull elk--which happened to be a 140-grain from a .270 Winchester. Since then she has used more TSXs than any other bullet--though since 2007 all have been the Tipped TSX's, because they solved the occasional problem of smaller-caliber TSX not opening.

I haven't used them quite as much as she has, mostly because there are always new bullets that need to be field-tested. But have used plenty, probably about half in a pair of .257 Weatherbys, and in fact the last big game animal I killed in 2020 was a mule deer taken at 327 yards with the 175-grain Barnes LRX from a .30-06. Didn't really need that much bullet for the deer, but there was a possibility of running into a grizzly in that area, about 25 miles from our house. It worked well on the deer, though, dropping it instantly with a what Elmer Keith called a "raking" shot--with the typical minimal meat damage.

If I ever hunt buffalo again, will probably use the 270-grain TSX from my .375 H&H, which was the first rifle I took to Africa a few decades ago.

John

No sir and besides, I was most definitively going the tongue in cheek route. To me Partitions remain the standard and when they shoot that is what I use, but remember a few years ago the only bullet I think Nosler was making in the bigger calibers was the 375 and I was loading for my 416 Rigby so I went with the A Frame. It was only a year or two later than an old poster here JJHack who has a lot of African experience, convinced me to try the TTXs and as I've mentioned before and aside from their performance on game, they have been the most singularly accurate bullet across all the calibers I use. Deep down inside though, I will always have a predilection for cup and cores. And BTW, my double shall never be "soiled" by a mono-metal bullet smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”