Tony,

By coincidence this post from my friend Rick just appeared on the "Ask the Gun Writers" forum:

"I am still recovering from travel to Africa but wanted to share my results using my 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX bullets. Not long ago I shared my loads using CFE223 and IMR 4451. I ended up using loads that gave 2700 rather than pushing for more velocity.

I used it on three Cape buffalo. Each expired after a single shot. The distances were longer than normal for buffalo. They were at 115, 125, and 130. The Buffalo traveled between 15 and 30 yards.

My rifle has a 1-10 twist.

I have used this load on 8 buffalo. The first five were at closer ranges but each needed a single shot and the distances traveled were about the same.

This 375 is much easier to shoot precisely than a normal 416. My experience has forced me to change my mind about wanting a 416 over a 375."

Also might mention that while I have experienced a "hard" batch of TSX bullets, it was long ago, and the bullets were 100-grain .25s. Had a few fail to expand, or at any rate expand completely, both from a .257 Roberts when handloaded to 3150 fps and a .257 Weatherby when loaded to 3550. Also have seen a few others shot by friends into various animals apparently fail to expand--but so far ALL have been in calibers of .30 or less--which have much smaller hollow-points than TSXs above .30 caliber.

The problem with the 100-grain .25s was totally cured by the advent of the Tipped TSX a couple years later. My wife and I have used them on several dozen animals since, from pronghorns at medium-long ranges to cow elk, and all have opened well and killed quickly. This is because the Tipped models ALL have much larger "hollow-points" to accommodate the shank of the plastic tip.

While Barnes doesn't make a .375 270 or 300-grain Tipped TSX, no doubt due to length problems. I am pretty sure the 250 TTSX .375 would work quite well on buffalo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck