Originally Posted by Moses
My wife and I newly married just out of college accepted teaching jobs in Miami.(1982) Both of us from tiny towns. Other than rent/utilities we had no bills. Our hobby...eating out. Some friends told us to go eat at the Fountain Bleau/Doral on Miami Beach. First red flag no visible place to park. Valet. Walk in Lobby is stunning.Met just inside by a person offering assistance.told him the restaurant. He said 5th floor. The elevator opened directly into the restaurant. People dressed richly. My senses were starting heat up. Sat us, handed us a menu with no prices. When the waiter came back I asked about prices...He said $85 no matter what you ordered. My wife/I maid $13,000 each a year as 1st year teachers. I told him teacher friends had eaten here and recommended it. He said go to the 3rd floor coffee shop. Same kitchen for both/food the same and prices less. We went to the 3rd floor looked similar to a Dennys/Shoneys. Food good. Prices in line.

Spent a Christmas in Miami with a long lost relative and a girlfriend many years ago. Through a connection, ended up at Doral club for Christmas day buffet. It was one of those Miami late 80's cocaine and Medicare fraud-fueled excess things. Lots of Ferrari and Lamborghinis parked out front. Over the top from one end to the other. I was particularly found of the selection of oysters on the half shell and the bloody Mary bar. The 3-4 lamb selections were also delicious.