Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by GreggH
Any suggestions for loads using 175 gr RN at original 7x57 velocities?
Just bought some Hawk bullets and want to try them at that level.
Thanks
GreggH

Heck yeah, 45gr H or IMR 4350, same powders I've used before and since in 7x57 loads with 175gr Hornady round nosed bullets, just found a bag I put up in new Norma brass over 25 years ago, slip of paper read 2407 fps. cool

Gunner,

This is an older post from last year, so don't know if you'll see this, but...

got this from an older Hornady Manual. for the 175 RN if you want more ooomph and velocity, and unbelievable accuracy, especially out of an old 7 x 57 that has a real generous chamber... the magical load is 40 grains of 3031..... MV thru my chronograph with both a Ruger 77 Mk 2 and a Model 70 Featherweight with that load, 2650 fps.

My Ruger was horrible with anything, like 5 inch groups at 100 yds were the best it would do... was going to pull the barrel and turn it into a 6mm Remington.
Saw that load in the manual, thought I hadn't used that, so I'd give it a try.. I was astounded, as It gave a smaller than half inch group. Reloaded some more ammo, and tried it at the range, and paying a little more attention, I got a smaller group. Was blown away when I chronographed it....

With all bullet weights, that charge of 40 grains of 3031, made that rifle think it was a varmint rifle.... anything else, and I tried a lot of powders, the groups rivaled a Stevie Wonder with a sling shot....

I've had others PM me and tell me that load worked wonders in their 7 Mausers also...

Just passing it on... hope this finds you well my friend....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez