Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have never chronographed a powder that out performed 760/H414 in this cartridge. Interesting that it is not mentioned yet. Hang on, I just did.

JW

I find those powders to be temperature sensitive.

Me too.
In the 80's I carried a Model 70 I bought new in 1981 and noticed the increased heat in the barrel with fewer shots while culling feral goats but it was around 100 degrees so didn't think much more about it because we were culling and no shots missed. In the 90's doing the same thing, I carried a John Rigby & Sons .275 Rigby with the same loads and never noticed the same issue with that rifle.

I'd forgotten about the whole thing until JB brought it up on here a few years back. I still use 760 in the 7x57 even today (a little less powder better aids accuracy in my current Super Grade) as the US is a cooler continent that Oz.

I get consistently higher velocities, meaning the potential of the case volume and under MOA accuracy. I like it and never cared an iota about the dirty barrel claims. 760 also works very well is an awful lot of cartridges so I always have it on hand.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.