Jeffrey:

Since you have never gone on a hunt on-you-own (a guided/outfitted hunt doesn't count), here are some tips from someone who has been an avid camper, backpacked and backpack hunter for seventy years.

1. Don't go on your first backpack trip and make it an elk hunt. That could be dangerous.

2. Forget the idea of renting a house, motel or any other kind of lodging. There’s a problem with sleeping in a motel or lodge because it’s not located in prime elk habitat and you have to spend time in the morning and evening traveling between where you are staying and where you are hunting. So, you either have to spend less time hunting or less time sleeping.

3. I suggest that you camp at the trailhead. But you shouldn't do that without some practice. Get some good gear, including a four-season tent and sleeping bags rated at 0°. Do your first camping in your back yard. Then do some camping near your home. After a few trips and a few mistakes from which you learn, then take what you’ve learned into the hills. I see you're from Texas. Texas has some excellent state parks with campgrounds. That's a good place to start.

4. I hope that you own an SUV or 4x4 pickup. Drive that to the end of the road, at a wilderness area boundary. Setup your camp there and day hike in from that camp to do your hunting.

5. Remember that elk hunting will probably be done in the cold and snow. So be prepared. That's why you need a 4-season tent and warm sleeping bags.

Last edited by KC; 07/04/21.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.