Originally Posted by kwg020
It appears that 79S is correct. I took the rifle with the Midway barrel back to the range yesterday. I had swapped the upper to a lower that has the Rock River 2 stage varmint trigger and put a known Bushnell fixed 10 power on top. I started at 50 yards like I normally do to check the scope. I was shooting 60 grain soft points over 25 grains of IMR 4895.

This barrel is NOT free floated. I am currently using a standard midlength hand guard and a front end cap behind a gas block to keep everything in place. At 50 yards I'm not sure it would make a huge amount of difference. I'm going to get a free float hand guard at some point but it may not go on this barrel. I used what I had in the parts box for this upper.

The 1st shot was always just a bit right of the bull. The 2nd shot was in the bull. The 3rd shot was somewhat close to the first shot and the 4th shot was right next to the shot in the bull. Both pairs were just a bit over an inch away from each other. I did this several times and the results were the same. 1st and 3rd shot was outside of the bull and the 2nd and 4th shot were in the bull right next to each other. I was using a 1" bull.

I was using a new Magpul 10 round magazine and some reloads that I put together in 2014 that have always shot well. I can't explain the behavior of the 2 different POI's. As the barrel heated up the spreads grew just a bit bigger but nothing outrageous.

I didn't bother going to the 100 yard line. I sure wish I had looked at the Windham Weaponry's barrels before getting this one.

kwg

kwg, how did the barrel fit in the receiver? Was it loose or was it nice and snug? How was your torque setting? Not too tight, as that will play hell on groups as well sometimes. There's a good thread here on bedding a barrel into the receiver, but it may not be a good idea if you have a mediocre barrel. Like I said before, I was hoping you'd have a good shooter with that barrel. I think for the most part the consensus here is you get what you pay for. Its awesome when you get a barrel for a good deal and it shoots sub moa, but often times that is not the case. Like some of these other guys always preach, spend your money wisely when it comes to barrels. Also, If you want to rule out the handguard, I have a round freefloating handguard I can send you, if you want it. I'm not using it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA