Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you want a flat base bullet, try the Sierra flat base version of the 69 SMK - the 60gr HP. It's just a 69 with the BT cut off.

It may very well be the best shooting .22 Sierra makes.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/22-caliber-60-gr-hp/

That sounds like a plan Tyrone. Except for over the top of picked bean fields and maybe a corn field we don't have many shots over 100 yards. A flat based bullet does well for our needs. There are only 2 over 100 yard ranges in the area. At the closest range you have to be a member and the next one is 90 miles away. Right now it looks like my Ruger American compact, also with an 18 inch barrel is the accuracy king at my house.

I shot a 2" group with the Midway barrel yesterday using the Hornady 55 grain soft points and 25 grains of AA2460. This load is one of my favorite combinations. It appears the barrel just isn't going to be what I hoped it would be. At least with the current loads I'm using. With a flat based 60 grain HP I can use them in the Ruger and maybe even the Remington ADL with a 1/12 twist.

I will give a few more bullets a try just in case I'm missing something. The 68 grain Hornady and the 69 grain Sierra sound promising. But, I'm going to take a break from this project for now. Come fall and some cooler weather I'll look at it again. I will say I'm really enjoying the range time. Even a bad day at the range is a good day. For future reference; if there is a next time, I'm getting the BA barrel.

I want to give a shout out to jiveturkey for letting me use his free float hand guard during this process. I was surprised just how much the hand guard affects accuracy. That was my biggest lesson during this process.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.