Let's sum it all up:
After shooting the rifle yesterday with the 60 grain reloads I put together in 2014 I am convinced that free floating the barrel has some real benefits. I want to thank jiveturkey for sending the hand guard to me for this "experiment". The brand of hand guard is from unbrandedar.com. This is the hand guard that jiveturkey sent. https://unbrandedar.com/product/v4-mlok-rail-12/

As we all know we get what we pay for. I bought this barrel because I had some parts laying around and all I needed was a mid length barrel to make another complete upper. It took some work but the barrel was "getting better" with some use and several cleanings to eliminate the copper and smooth it up internally.

I was very much surprised at the quality and size of the groups I fired yesterday. With my second load of 4 rounds (I like 4 shot groups) I got 3 into the center of the bullseye all over lapping forming a nice little triangle with one flyer 1/2" to the right. I don't know if the flyer was me, the barrel or the reload but I was happy with the group otherwise. This was all at 50 yards again as the 100 yard range was busy and it was 96 degrees on the range yesterday. As the barrel (and I) heated up the groups got a bit wider as well, but otherwise the groups were at least 50% better than with the traditional hand guard just a few days ago.

The bottom line is this is a good barrel. But, it is not a great barrel. I have some other rifles that could use a floating hand guard and that is where I plan on spending some money next and on a later day revisit the 18" barrel with something better. I have a 16" Armalite upper I bought 15 years ago that shoots well but I think I can get it to shoot better if I free float the barrel. I can think of a few more AR's in my gun locker that could stand to be free floated if I choose to keep them.

Thanks for the participation.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.