Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's pretty ignorant. The chemical is packaged for both humans and animals. Assuming it's not on the package, they don't add some special horse ingredient into the ones packaged for use with horses. When your vet prescribes Cephlex for your dog because he has a skin infection, is your dog in danger because he's receiving human medicine? It's the chemical, not the packaging.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I don't think there's any difference in the quality of the chemical. The chemical is almost certainly manufactured at the same facilities regardless of which animals (humans or non-humans) are going to be getting it. I doubt the manufacturer of the active ingredient even knows which batches of it are going to end up in packaging for horses or for people.

For our resident medical expert who wants to call others ignorant....

First we have used ivermectin in the hospital setting. Not always, but they have used it to compare to other treatments to evaluate best case therapy. However, rarely now since other combinations, and relatively inexpensive ones, have proven to result in quicker and more reliable results. In Africa they don't always have the choices we do...so they use the best they have.

Human vs animal products? Hawkeye uses vague statements to validate his opinion. Words like, "I don't think and " I doubt." Hmm, doesn't give one much faith in his opinions. But yes, in most cases they are the same. But not always, in that the inactive ingredients may or may not be the same. Reason being, some of them may be harmful to certain animals. And different animals often have diverse metabolic pathways and sensitivity to certain ingredients. There is much more diversity in different animal populations than in a one species example, I.E. humans. However, on the whole they are the same. Flip the coin when hit comes to universally making your decision. In this case, it seems not a problem. But remember this paste is a concentrated form. Horses are large animals, so they make a little go a long way. How much you getting per squeeze. Can one get to much ivermectin? They can....

Now.. the Real Hswkeye feels that it is not necessary to indicate possible human side effects of ivermectin. He just prescribes for them to glup it down. He doesn't mention any medications that perhaps shouldn't be used with ivermectin. Doesn't mention if one should drink alcohol after dosing with ivermectin. Doesn't mention what blood and laboratory test may be skewed when ivermectin is used. Doesn't mention what one should look for regarding an adverse or anaphylactic reaction. Real physicians have been taken to court for failing to disclose the same. But then again...

As far as it being used in Africa...Are they using the pills specifically made for humans or are they squeezing it out of a tube for animal use? Doesn't address that either.

And last it is Keflex and not Cephlex......

While ivermectin does have an established use for Covid...That doesn't negate the caution that one should choose their physician with care....

Last edited by battue; 08/01/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler