Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Not known him to pull punches, IIRC every BRAND of scope tested, has gone belly up on his "test" rifle.

No, not every brand tested--but right now far more than the 12-15 brands JGRaider quoted.

Have had 20 brands of scopes now go bonkers on various test rifles. Some I expected to, but some I didn't.

I don't recoil-test nearly as many new scopes as I used to, partly because I don't write a regular optics column for any publication anymore. To tell the truth, this was something of a relief, due to growing a little weary of shooting hard-kicking rifles enough to determine anything.

But I also grew weary of scope companies claiming that there was nothing wrong with the scope that failed to work correctly when I sent it back to them. One major company with a reputation for making VERY tough scopes even claimed this, and said the problem was the scope slipping in the rings--which they determined by seeing tiny impressions from rings in different places in the scope. They said they refinished the scope and sent it back to me.

There were two problems with this. First, I'd already told them that it had been my major rifle test-scope for around 5 years, because it worked so reliably--which meant that it had been mounted on a bunch of rifles, with the rings in different places.

The other problem was that I record the serial number of all the scope I own. Started doing this maybe a decade ago, just to keep track of which scopes had been on which rifles. The scope they "returned" to me had a different serial number than the one I'd sent them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck