Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was not getting that from your earliest post--but am still skeptical about how much effect heavier scopes have on recoil energy/acceleration, given the overall weight of the entire rifle "system."

In general, my experience is that reliable "dialing" scopes these days weigh a minimum of 18 ounces, though obviously some are much heavier. The 2.5x Leupold on Phil's 9-1/4 pound .458 weighs 6.5 ounces. That's about 12 ounces less than a typical small-variable dialing scope--and yes, I have used many, and hence weighed many, being pretty compulsive.

Here's how the difference breaks down, using the basic recoil formula accepted these days:

With a 6.5 ounce 2.5x Leupold, overall rifle weight 9.25 pounds, 500-grain bullet at 2100 fps, 70 grains of powder:
67.2 foot-pounds of recoil energy
21.62 fps of recoil velocity

With an 18.5-ounce scope, overall weight 10 pounds:
62.16 foot-pounds of recoil energy
20.0 fps of recoil velocity.

In both foot-pounds or fps, the difference is 8%. I am skeptical that an 8% difference makes a meaningful difference in scope function, regardless of the scope. In part, this is due to not only LOTS of lightweight fixed-power scopes on harder-kicking rifles, but dozens of heavier dialing scopes, including most well-known brands. Obviously the experience with the second type of scope is less, because most didn't exist before about 20-25 years ago, but have experienced a "failure" rate higher than some report.

Am not going to comment much more here, but will by PM if you want. I have some results that might surprise you.

Post em up John. 👍 I find it very funny, some experiences with the swfa, no one says squat. Boy it’s a leupold, it gets lotsa traffic. As a aside, been noticing lots of ss scopes for sale.. just a observation..

Carry on

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.