I have never had a problem with the early Weavers (C,K and J series) losing POI. Most were 4x, but also 3x, 2 1/2x and 6x (even one or two 8x and 10x)
I've been buying up M8 Leupolds for some time and with no problems. But their prices have doubled lately it seems.
The problems I have with both those early Weavers and those early Leupolds has been sighting them in.
I do have a newer variable that has taken quite a licking, it's a Weaver 1x-3x power on a light weight 350 Magnum that has mainly shot 250 grain bullets. That scope is very light - I don't remember the exact weight.
I never knew of scope failure until I started to buy newer variable scopes, many Leupolds - though granted few failures with Leupolds. But I think a scope failure is inexcusable. I have been selling my newest Leupolds. Besides I rarely change the magnification on a variable - having it a variable just makes it weaker.
The perfect glass isn't as important to me as zero failures. Having a scope that I can spin the elevation and horizontal knobs are not as important to me either.
Finally I wish fixed power scopes were still available as they used to be. I have never had a scope failure on a fixed power scope (though I thought I did - it was a loose mount).

I am getting long in the tooth, have steel knees and a bad back. Being on a mountain side with a scope failure, a missed opportunity and a long ways back to the truck to get a spare rifle is most upsetting!

Last edited by Bugger; 10/30/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally