Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have a leupold 20 moa one piece rail fir a base. For rings I started with SS 6 screw tactical lows. The scope slipped in them at first so I really cranked them down. It shot well for long enough to shoot an elk last year and then went to crap. I put another scope on in I believe ugi brand rings. It shot well the first trip to the range and then toasted a scope the second trip. I put on another SS 3-9 in some Warne rings and started working up a load for 180g elds. I found a load shooting 1/2 moa.

The next range trip I had loaded more of that load. The first group shot great again. The second opened up and shifted about 1.5" low. I thought maybe the scope slipped again until. The 3rd group went about 1.5" higher and an inch left of the first which was about 4 inches from the second. It was opened up to about 2" group too. Now I've got to get out and try this razor HD hunting model scope. I'm not a fan of a lot of vortex but this ones a LOW built in Japan model.

Bb

How did your other SS 3-9x scopes fail? Also failure to hold zero?

The last one did the same thing this one did. Groups went and zero started walking a bit. I sent it in and they said it was bad but didn't say how. I'm going on a year waiting for a replacement. Two of the 3-9 SS I had that failed all the sudden wouldn't adjust more than a few mils one way on windage. I used a mirror to set center and then had plenty of adjustment one way and very little windage the other. I sent them in and they replaced them.

The 3-9 SS is a favorite so it bums me out to have a few more fail. Although nothing has survived the 7-08 fieldcraft yet. My first gen Ti in 30-06 munched a few scoped back in the day. I had better luck putting lighter scoped on it. Oddly enough the TI still wears a VX2 3-9 LR reticle. That it hasn't broke yet. It sent a few other heavier scoped to the grave.

Maybe mathman or someone could explain the physics behind lighter scopes holding up better. Something about them being easier to set in motion and not send their lenses forward maybe.

Bb

Thanks for the explanation.

I've actually explained the physics behind the opposite effect. Heavier scopes in reality hold up better (they add more weight to the rifle/scope system that accelerates as one system upon the rifle firing), all things being equal, since for a given force light objects accelerate faster, and that change in inertia is what is hard on things. The mass of the internal parts and the strength of their connections is a large factor, as well. In that case, the rifle system has a given acceleration and the heavier the internal part, the more force is applied to it to get it to accelerate at that rate.