I've revived this old one because I plan to try these in my 300 Savage. IMO "skidrow" is right about them being velocity sensitive and "mule deer" recalls that some worked well in some cartridges and some didnt. I've read many stories about good performance with 130 gr. 270 on elk and many stories about bad performance in 30 cal. My take is that these were intended to give improved long range performance to standard calibers. They were touted for their ballistic performance beyond 200 yards and as everyone now recognizes they were the first "ballistic tip" bullet. W-W ballistic tables promised at least a hundred fps more retained velocity over PowerPoint performance at 300 yards. However, not long after Silvertips arrived, magnums came on the scene and changed the whole formula. The weakness of the Silvertip (too much expansion at close range/hi velocity) would only be exacerbated by magnum velocities, effectively enlarging the Silvertips failure envelope and as JB said, the two combined could make close shots a disaster. With the exception of the 130/270, slow velocities seem to have been best for them and you hear many more success stories with Silvertips in 30-30, 30-40, 300 Sav and 358 Win. I've also read good things about the 100gr. 250 Sav Silvertip load. A 160 or 175 .284 Silvertip would probably make a very good 7x57 bullet except they never made a 7mm version; they damn sure made that 130gr./.270 bullet work though. I think Magnums brought the Silvertip experiment to a close but like the Remington Bronze Point, there are a few loadings that did work very well.