Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Some of the conflicting results can be the fact that there were 2 original silvertips. The originals starting being produced from the 1930's is completely different than modern silvertips. Original silvertips had a hard Nickle silver cap that extended all the way to the base. These bullets had a reputation as being hard and giving deep pentation. These bullets have a bight silver appearance. The newer bullets have a very thin aluminum cap that extends just enough to get the nose of the bullet jacket to crimp around it. These are the blow up bullets of such renown. I saw one blow up on the ribs of a distant elk. In the archive of the International Ammunition forum is sectioned bullets of both types. Check it out and the difference are apparent.

Do you happen to know the time frame as to when the change in construction was made? thanks

Also makes one wonder if the touted 130/270 bullets with the aluminum caps were somehow designed differently.

The change over was never published anywhere I have seen. I have researched this quite often over the years. My best guess is around the mid fifties. I feel the uncommon calibers were still available till stock on hand was used up. I researched by checking old ammo still in original boxes. I have some 250 Savages in yellow boxes that have the old style and yellow boxes with newer style bullets. Yellow boxes were produced from 1957 till @1970 IIRC. Remington Cor-Lokt are easier to determine the change over from a slightly controlled expansion bullet to a standard cup and core. This happened in the mid 60's. Again I would assume the popular calibers and weights were the first to get the change over with the less common remaining till old stocks were used up.

Far be it from bullet manufacturers to ever let the public in on changes they make in their bullets (unless they feel that they can ballyyhoo some alteration to their advantage).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.