My Dad killed a nice 5x5 bull elk, and a 50"ish bull moose, in northern British Columbia back in 1983 shooting a 30-06 Remington 700 ADL with Winchester factory 180 grain Silvertips. He had access to a friends shooting range that could go out to around 400 yards or so, so my Dad practiced quite a bit prior to leaving for the hunt they were going on.

He shot the moose at an extended range (300-400 yards) 4 times, all the while the guide was hollering "keep shooting, you're missing him!". He shot twice while the bull was walking uphill, then twice more after it turned and started walking downhill. After the 4th shot, the bull stopped and just stood there for a moment, then fell over. When they got to it, and started skinning it, there were 2 bullets holes on one side, 2 bullets holes on the other, and 4 bullets inside the chest cavity.

While I do not remember all the complete details (I was 14 years old at the time, too many year, too many beers!), I do remember my Dad saying how shot up the lungs were in that moose.

He killed the bull elk with one shot at around 200 yards, something that the guide said that he had never seen before.

A funny aside about the guide...my Dad smoked a pipe at the time, and it was snowing while they were out hunting, and the guide saw my Dad smoking his pipe upside down so that the snowflakes wouldn't extinguish his pipe tobacco. The guide thought that was the craziest thing that he had ever saw!

Be careful, it's dumb out there!