That 200 gr Silvertip bullet for the .358 Winchester was always a favorite of mine. I have shot dozens of deer and more with it and always got penetration. It's the only load that a deer never got up after falling unlike all the other cartridges which includes the 7mm RM and 30-06.

It was as accurate as other bullets in my two 99f's and M70. I would still be loading them if I could get them but Winchester dropped selling them as components quite a while ago now.

However Ray Atkinson says that the Silver Tips in the .358 are "As soft as butter" He and I disagree on this.

But while looking thru my collection of bullets recovered from shooting into water filled cartons I found a 250 gr Silvertip fired as a factory load in the 358. That bullet lost a lot of metal and expanded to about 8/10 of an inch. Since it starts out at only about 2200 fps. it seems that Ray is right on the 250 as one would want that one for heavy game.

Like a poster above I too have many good memories of bucks falling dead and staying there when hit by just one Silvertip.

Like anything else it has to be done right. Many good ideas out there it's the doing them that's the real achievment.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!