Originally Posted by Hastings
Homos attracted to teenage boys is very common. The priesthood and the Boy Scouts would attract those ''men''. I'm sure there is truth to some of these claims. I was a Boy Scout in the mid-60s and our leaders were the fathers of scouts and most were WW2 veterans. The worst I remember was a little bit of semi-dirty joke telling by one of the adults.

I've read that it has been estimated by experts to be as high as 4% of the population (the portion with pedophilia, that is sexual feelings toward children, not necessarily acts of abuse). If that is so, in a group of 100, leaders would have four (probably unknown) persons that they've got to be concerned with avoiding temptation, and the other 96 to maintain accountability to prevent false accusations. Suppose a group or church of 100 people has a few. It's probable those few will be among the portion attracted to the things involving kids.

Whether it's homos or greedy ambulance chasers, we've got to look out. Background checks aren't enough because they don't predict behavior of people that haven't previously offended. They're also costly and often not re-checked for years.

FWIW, I've never been LDS or BSA, was never abused, not acquainted with anyone who was, nor am I the supposed 4%. I do have children and I volunteer. There are big organizations like 4-H, medium ones like AWANA, and small ones like the local church or the local martial arts gym. Most groups have strict CPP's, but some like my kid's guitar teacher do not. Most parents would leave their kids alone with him, but I always stayed. I learned more about guitar that way. Where there are strict CPP's, they're not always followed strictly. They often require "two adults" but when there's a shortage of volunteers, I've been alone in a room with kids (a group) and a security camera instead of another adult. I wonder if one day we'll be wearing body cams.