Originally Posted by lvmiker
There are more sexual predators than many people realize. Predators go where the hunting is best. All males that choose to seek a power position involving children should be carefully vetted and constantly scrutinized, priests, teachers, youth leaders etc. Every parent must be suspicious of any male that has opportunity to be alone w/ a child including relatives and friends/neighbors.

#stayvigilant

mike r

This is very true. I'm always suspicious of those that want to work with kids. When my bishop called me in and made me scout leader I told him no that I didn't want to do it. I said I'm sure there are many others here at church that want the job so give it to them. He then told me he tried to avoid putting adults in scouts that wanted to be in it. He then insisted I take the job.

I told him I didn't like working with kids and that most of them were mouthy and rude femi little mama's boys that would just piss me off. A lot of the kids in the groups parents were college professor types and none of the kids had any outdoor interests or skills. The Bishop then told me he really needed me to do it because the kids needed a more traditional male role model and it needed to be someone that wasn't going to put up with them and their parents crying about every little thing.

I decided to give it a try and I found a couple other traditional guys at church that didn't want to do it either and we formed a new troop. I got in trouble with the parents right off the bat because the kids wanted to call their new troop the my little ponies or the rainbow brights, no kidding! I was supposed to let them pick their troop name but I said hell no they might as well call themselves the little pink pansies. That got back to the parents and I was in trouble week one. One mother said she thought it was great the kids thought of sweet names because she said they were such sweet kids. I tried not to vomit and then said if they want to be sweet they can call themselves the honey badgers but I wasn't allowing anything sweeter than that. Honey badgers it was and it was kind of funny because it was around the time the video of the gay sounding guy talking about how bad ass honey badgers were was going around.

I ended up being a scout leader for around 2 years and I hated it at first but learned to tolerate it. It was overwhelming feeling responsible for keeping them safe and always having to lay down the laws.

In the end some off the kids really caught on to out doors stuff and quit acting like such little whimps. I think they just grow up a lot during those years. I ran into one of the old honey badgers a few months ago and he's all grown up and seemed like a decent kid that had his head on straight. He thanked me for putting up with him in scouts and told me he loves the outdoors, owned guns and was learning to hunt. He said his dad had actually taken up trap shooting too and his dad was a big city Californian that moved here when his wife got a job at the university.

Scouting had a lot to offer and could be a really good thing for kids but like so many things with potential for good these days evil infiltrated it any way it could and destroyed it.

Bb