Have you towed with a newer gas 2500, or are you basing your comments on older trucks and speculation? Doubt all you want, but I’m guessing you have zero experience behind the wheel of a new gas 2500. Or maybe it’s just the Ram’s that can’t hold speed in a grade.

I went from a 2011 Duramax LML (397hp/765tq) to a 2021 gas 2500 L8T (401hp/464tq). With my travel trailer I could hold the speed limit wherever I towed. These are not the same gassers that were out 10-15 years ago. There is a noticeable increase in towing power from my 2016 2500 gas 6.0 (360hp/380tq). Heck, the new L8T has more horsepower than my 2011 Duramax, and I believe it’s the least powerful of the new gas 2500’s. Torque gets things moving, but ultimately horsepower is the measure of an engines ability to produce work.

You do have to let them work in their powerband, which is at higher revs than the diesel. Cottonwood pass and Monarch pass are not at SEA LEVEL and I had no issue going up (or controlling my decent) as fast as I wanted. Also had no issues on I40 and I80 through the plains. I was more worried about losing the exhaust brake, but the grade shifting algorithm on the gasser seemed almost equivalent to the exhaust brake on my LML. Probably not quite a effective, but pretty darn close. No temp issues either. Too bad you weren’t with me for the drive, you could have seen it for yourself.

I don’t have a super heavy trailer, so maybe it’s different if you are pulling at the max load rating of the truck all the time, I don’t know. I will say I was nervous making the switch, but for my trailer my fears were unfounded.

ETA, I have also towed with a 5.3l 1500 (2005) (285hp/325tq) and it did struggle over the same passes and was pushed around with the same trailer.

Last edited by K1500; 11/05/21.