Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
257 and K1500 I'm doubting you're posts. I've been there and done it with a gasser. There is no way you are maintaining the speed limit up and down the 10,000' passes of Colorado pulling a 12k 5th wheel with unleaded or a 22' RV with a 1500. You might, that's a big might, be doing 10 or 15 under the speed limit and watching the temp gauges on the way up and on the way down you're in 2nd gear with the engine revved at 5000rpm doing 45 trying to save your brakes. If that's what works for you and qualifies as pleasing or no problems, then go for it, just don't do it here. I hope you pull over and let normal speed traffic pass as needed. 2five7 a 2021 2500 with a gas 7.3 has a tow rating of 12,500lbs. You're maxed out...at sea level.

I see it every weekend here. A gas pickup/SUV/van, you name it, trying to pull anything from a smaller camper to a triple axle RV...all because the tow rating says it should be possible. Again, a tow rating that is for SEA LEVEL. Without fail, they have 20+ cars lined up behind them because they can't keep up with normal traffic speeds. In my opinion if you are consitstently holding up traffic, it's not a safe and legitimate pulling vehicle.

I know what you are referring to, especially people pulling with half tons, but the new big block gas motors are a different animal and you don't know what your talking about there. I've logged about 700,000 miles over 25 yrs in diesel pickups, including a lot of towing up to 24-25k gross, and yeah a good bit in CO and other western states, so put that argument back in your pocket. Guess what I drive now? An F-350 with the 7.3 gas motor, first gas truck I've owned since 1993. It pulls, and pulls well.

Diesels motors are not what they used to be either, much more problematic. Of the 18 or so here at work that have the new emissions at least one of them is broke down or throwing a code weekly.

Diesels still have their place, but the gap is narrowing, and reliability no longer goes to them.

Bill