Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel
Not going to lie when we were teens we use to road hunt, and go into the king ranch and poach, pretty much a right of passage back then. Then if you got caught it was a 250 dollar fine, defiantly not worth it now that they can hit you with a felony. We even had a police scanner in my buddy's truck and would listen to the game wardens. Once in a while, we'd go out spotlighting but not take any guns and let them catch us just to mess with them.

It was like a war zone at night near my dad's ranch in North Central Texas about 90 miles west of Fort Worth. We lived about 15 miles from the nearest town and it was just a spot in the road. Rarely saw a game warden, but plenty of poachers and spotlighters...

My dad drug a big post oak log across a blind curve in a road one night where he knew some poachers were getting a deer. Only way they had to get out of the place was on this road. They came around that curve hauling arse and phugged up there daddy's new truck really bad on that log...They had a long walk back to the highway...
lol

one time we were running from the game warden and we were coming up on a curve that you had to slow down to about 30 to make the curve. we were running with the lights off Allan downshifted to slow down as not to hit the brake lights, and we made the curve. game warden didn't and went out into a plowed field. the whole time we were listening on the scanner. Allen did get caught years later on George Strait's ranch, He never gave up outlaw hunting after we grew up and it cost him big time. he lost his guns for that and 6 months locked up.

Dang, yeah, that cost him....I can honestly say I never poached a deer growing up, but grew up around plenty of dudes in High School that most likely did...It is kind of like a right of passage as you said in Texas in the small town areas. Not much else to do for entertainment, and usually tons of alcohol involved...LOL!

I loved spotlighting for yotes and coon hunting with hounds growing up...We shot tons of deer in season too with no problems..I think my dad knew everyone in the whole dang county, or was related to them so I had free rein to hunt tons of land.....Good ole days!...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 11/25/21.