Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Geno, just sounds like a crazy idea.

Half the acres of our local rez is privately owned but no way in hell would I attempt to run a game farm here.
(or anywhere...)

I bet they have guys patrolling and fixing fence 24/7.

Ya.....I have been on a lot of Reservations.....the Northern Cheyenne, Rocky Boy, Wind River, Blackfeet. Not a deer to be seen other than the Flathead. I couldn't imagine Fort Peck being ANY better.

You haven't looked very hard then. I have lived on two of those reservations, Wind River and Fort Peck, and there were definitely sufficient deer for hunting.

Was married to an enrolled member of the Fort Peck Reservation and could legally hunt there--and did for several years with her grandfather, a noted hunter. Could always find sufficient deer to fill the freezer, even though it was a period with miserable winters, one getting as cold as -58.

Have also hunted on other reservations in the general region, from Montana to Nebraska, after buying a license, for animals from deer to upland birds. The hunting was always at least as good as areas outside the reservations, and sometimes better.

That said, I would not attempt to run a "game farm" on a reservation--but then would not run a "game farm" anywhere.

That's good to hear.
It hasn't been my experience but I also haven't gone out of my way to actually look for critters on any reservations.